Thursday 18 October 2012

Spinning

One of the best things about working in education is the random events that take place throughout the year and I've been a little bit excited about this week for a while. In case you didn't know, this week is 'International Wool Week' and I was asked if I could spare some time to help students learn to knit this week. Unfortunately I hadn't planned on Auditors being in this week as its usually carried out nearer the beginning of October so sadly I couldn't spare much time. I did, however, pay attention in SMT this week when 'Live Sheep' were mentioned (its amazing what appears on the Agenda sometimes). None the less its true, yesterday we did have real sheep in the Art building!! They didn't look very happy to be honest but then again what does a 'happy sheep' look like? I had to go and check these out for myself so imagine my delight at not only finding sheep but also an entire spinning guild set up in the gallery!!! 

Despite having a to do list that still doesn't seem to be reducing at all I just couldn't resist  asking for a quick spinning lesson and it was so much fun. I was completely rubbish at though but I was wearing inappropriate footwear and finding it impossible to just 'relax and let the wool slip though your fingers', as I was advised. Every muscle was tense no matter how hard I tried not to be but it is one of those skills you just need to practise for hours to get it right.  This is me, 'attempting' to spin some wool...



The lady that was showing me was so patient and understanding too, and she gave me my efforts to keep...


I don't think it would knit up very well somehow!  Of course I am now spending a little time here and there searching ebay for spinning wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments...