Thursday 14 February 2013

Creativity

Had a bit of a creative time recently.

It started with these little footstools. I bought the new 'Home Maker' magazine and instructions for making footstools was in the first issue. So after a trip to Aberkhan and B&Q, and an hour spent playing with power tools and a staple gun, these were the result...




The problem with Aberkhan is that whenever I go there I always come home with the things  I need, along with lots of other things that I find there that I feel compelled to bring home too.

In our old house (it didn't have a name engraved above the door like this one does), I had these pictures hanging on the living room wall (you can just about make them out on the left)....



I didn't put them back up at Vivod so they have spent 2 years underneath the loft stairs gathering dust. I then rearranged my living room a couple of weeks ago and the huge expanse of bare wall has been annoying me ever since. So another hour with the staple gun and this fabric, that I thought was too sweet to leave at Aberkhan, produced these....





Then, yesterday, I got the sewing machine out with the intention of doing Child #1's costume. She slept all morning so I made these instead...

Who else has matching pictures and cushions?!
After this I did something quite spontaneous! I went upstairs to fetch something - fabric I think and spotted the big plastic tub with the patchwork quilt I started years ago (for the old house pictured above - hence the colours). I figured that it was never going to progress unless I brought it back downstairs. It's listed in the Unfinished Business post - Number 11.

I took the quilt out to see how much needed to be done. I had to attach one side of the border, add the backing fabric and wadding, attach the trim and then do the fancy quilting thing over the top. And so it began! Today, all I have left to do is the fancy quilting bit which I was going to do at work but I want to see it finished so I might do this one at home instead.





To be honest, I don't really love the quilt that much at all. It's the first quilt I've ever made so it was just thrown together with any cheap fabric I could find. Of course, now, I am planning the next quilt. The next one will be something I love, and hopefully won't take me 4 years to complete. 

See you soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments...